Thursday, May 24, 2007

Rembering Stuart - By Craig Andersen

In the span of one’s life you will meet many people, some of which are in your life only briefly, while others become part of your life, but more importantly these people form a place in your heart and minds. Stuart was one such person for me.

Stuart and I met about 10 years ago. Our relationship started out as an employer / employee, but became much more over the years.

He was a person I had great respect and admiration for. I looked up to Stuart not only by how he conducted his life as my boss, fellow carpenter, family man, but as a person. He is one of the few people I’ve met in my lifetime who was truly a wonderfully person. One you could trust with your life. Stuart was a person that left a lasting impression on many, which is not an easy accomplishment. It’s truly a tribute to the person he was, I can only hope I can conduct my life the same.

Over the years I only wish I had the opportunity to have some of the personal adventures as some of you have shared. They all sound like they were a great times. So… instead of adventures, I will share some personal thoughts about Stuart, and the impression he left on my life; Stuart was a man of many talents. He was never afraid to try anything, such as: Carpenter, Sailor, Car Enthusiast, Cabinet Maker, and foremost, an excellent Finish Carpenter. I’m sure there are many other accomplishments that should be mentioned, but these are the ones I personally know best. Not only was Stuart capable of doing all these things, but he completed them with excellence.

Fortunately, I had the pleasure of working closely with Stuart on many complex custom projects during the years of employment with them. All of which was an experience for which I learned valuable skills from him, and continue to apply them in some form or fashion even in my life today.

One experience I have taken with me in my life today is with regards to how both Doug and Stuart treated their employees. They were the best bosses I’ve ever had, and that experience is one in which I try to apply in my job today, as a business owner myself.

They truly made you feel as part of the team and part of their success, and always gave recognition for your personal accomplishments on the job. They both should be very proud of the business they have built over the years. It is not easy to have a successful business in construction, such as the one they have. It takes great commitment and personal strength to maintain the reputation that they, as well as their business are known for. Job well done!

Well… I could go on forever about the wonderful person he was, and the impression he has made in my life, but I think I will end this note by asking one very important question; what was with the potato chips? Stuart had to have potato chips neatly placed inside every sandwich he ever ate, and if he didn’t have chips with him, we would pick them up during the lunch run. It appears this was a deeply rooted routine, which even extend beyond the work lunches.

Craig Andersen

1 comment:

Karen said...

Craig, Thank you for your contribution. Funny you should mention potato chips! Just yesterday I was reminiscing with Betsy about sitting at the Whitla kitchen table at Shirley Road in Wellesley when Stuart and I were dating and how she and Stuart would make potato chip and cream cheese sandwiches! I was appalled! I had never heard of such a thing! Pure fat! Anyway, I think you're right...it was part of his eating habits from at least as long as I've known him , which is 35 years!