Friday, May 11, 2007

The rest of the story...by Randie Martin

As you know, Stuart was a pretty good skier. In fact, the most amazing skier I've ever skied with. (although he told us that Doug was even better than he was - now THAT I'd like to see!). So at ease and confident, totally fearless and FAST - no matter what the conditions were like.

So, there Bob, Stuart and I were on the chairlift at the Park City Mountain Resort in Utah on a perfectly clear, sunny day the first morning of a week of skiing (Karen was back east earning a living). We were admiring the breathtaking scenery and the perfect conditions with Stuart pointing to some huge, incredibly steep, heartstopping peaks with fresh "powdah" and no tracks that you'd have to hike to with your skis (when it comes to skiing, I'm with Alison - I DON'T HIKE!). He'd say, "That's where I'd like to go." YIKES! Instead we decided on an easy??? double black mogul run at McConkie's Bowl which was heartstopping enough for me. First time down was great. Bob and I watched Stuart disappear over the edge of a steep cornice without even batting an eye, and we followed - though not quite as confidently. As always I really enjoyed watching Stuart zip down through the moguls making it look SO easy. Second run not so good - Bob took another trail and Stuart and I headed down the bowl again. I caught an edge and wound up sliding on my back head first through the moguls. When I finally landed in a heap and he skied over to me I said fairly calmly, "I'm pretty sure I broke my leg." He said, very emphatically, "You did NOT!" I said, "Yeah, I think so. But I am NOT taking the toboggan from here - I'll just walk to the edge of the mogul field." We established pretty quickly that that wasn't going to happen and he skied off to meet Bob to give him the bad news and get the ski patrol. He even had the good grace not to laugh too hard when I had to go back to the hotel sporting a cast and wearing the stylin' "one size fits huge" paper shorts they gave me at the clinic!!!

Some of our all time favorite ski times have been with the Whitlas, either at Sunday River or in Utah. I can see that special "Stuart style" when I watch Alison and Ben ski. Stuart, I'll think of you whenever we ski, but especially whenever we ride the chair to McConkie's!

As Alison put it so eloquently all those years ago as a toddler - "Kate and Alison, we friends!"
Whitlas and Martins - WE FRIENDS!
Love to you all -
Randie

No comments: